2nd Thursday Science Talks: Dr. Joe Keiper
Virginia Museum of Natural History: “2nd Thursday Science Talks”
Fascinating presentations highlighting a variety of relevant and engaging topics
FREE admission to “2nd Thursday Science Talks” is provided by generous donations to the VMNH Foundation Discovery Fund. All presentations are held at VMNH from 6 to 7 p.m. Space is limited, so please RSVP one week prior to each event to firstname.lastname@example.org or 276-634-4162.
- September 12, 2013 – Dr. Joe Keiper, Executive Director, VMNH
“Insect evidence from serial killings: The use of museum collections to assist investigators”: Serial killings have been documented in world society since ancient times, but the application of entomological evidence found on victims has been used only recently to help reconstruct the timelines of these heinous crimes. Keiper will review his experience and discuss methods used during investigations. Although all are welcome, some of the content of this talk may not be appropriate for children.
- October 10, 2013 – Dr. Bernard Means, Instructor of Anthropology, Virginia Commonwealth University – VMNH Research Associate
“Adventures into the (Virtual) Unknown: 3D Laser Scanning and America's Past”
- November 14, 2013 – Dr. Nancy Moncrief, Curator of Mammalogy, VMNH
- December 12, 2013 – Dr. Judith Winston, Curator of Marine Biology, VMNH
- January 9, 2014 – Dr. Paul Marek, Virginia Tech – VMNH Research Associate
- February 13, 2014 – Dr. Alton Dooley, Curator of Paleontology, VMNH
- March 13, 2014 – Dr. DorothyBelle Poli, Associate Professor of Biology, Roanoke College – VMNH Research Associate
- April 10, 2014 – Dr. Donna Boyd, Eminent Professor of Anthropological Sciences, Radford University – VMNH Research Associate
- May 8, 2014 – Dr. James Beard, Director of Research and Collections/Curator of Geology, VMNH
VMNH Members’ Reception on May 8 – VMNH Members are invited to attend a reception following the final presentation on May 8 from 7 to 8 p.m. celebrating the completion of the 2013-2014 “2nd Thursday Science Talks.” The reception will be held in the museum’s Harvest Foundation Hall of Ancient Life, and will provide an opportunity for VMNH Members to meet and interact with presenters.