Dr. Judith Winston, Curator of Marine Biology
Contact Dr. Winston at email@example.com.
- Curator of Marine Biology, Virginia Museum of Natural History
- Adjunct Professor, Biology Department, Appalachian State University, University of Louisiana, Lafayette, George Mason University
- Research Associate, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University
- Ph.D. in Geophysical Sciences, University of Chicago, 1974
- MS in Zoology, University of New Hampshire, 1970
- AB in Geology and Biology, Brown University, 1966
- Bryozoan systematics
- Ecology and evolution of colonial organisms
- Marine biodiversity and conservation
- Taxonomic procedure and nomenclature
Recent Professional Service
- Editorial Board, Journal of Natural History, 2002-
- International Bryozoology Association, Councilor 1998-2004, President 2007-10.
- Member at Large, American Microscopical Society, 1997-99, President, 2007.
- Virginia Natural History Society, Councilor, 1997-99, President, 2006.
- Commissioner, International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature, 2009-
- Winston, J. E. (1999) Describing Species: Practical Taxonomic Procedure for Biologists. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Winston, J. E. And Migotto, A. E. (2005). A new encrusting interstitial marine fauna from Brazil.Invertebrate Biology. 124(1):79-87.
- Winston, J. E. (2005). Re-description and revision of Smitt’s “Floridan Bryozoa” in the collection of the Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University. VMNH Memoir 7:1-152.
- Winston, J. E. and Woollacott, R. M. 2009. Scientific results of the Hassler Expedition, Bryozoa, no. 1. Barbados. Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology 159(5): 239-300.
- Winston, J. E. 2010. Life in the colonies: learning the alien ways of colonial organisms. Integrative and Comparative Biology, 50 (6): 919-933.
- Hayward, P. J. and Winston, J. E. 2011. Bryozoa collected by the United States AntarcticResearch Program: new taxa and new records. Journal of Natural History, 45 (37-38): 2259-2338.