Posted December 14, 2016
Earth Sciences Technician
(Role Title: Laboratory and Research Specialist I)
Position #: 00012
Salary Range: Pay Band 3
Location: Martinsville, Virginia
Minimum Starting Pay: $25,000, depending on qualifications and experience
An exceptional job opportunity with the Virginia Museum of Natural History is now available. The mission of the Virginia Museum of Natural History is to interpret Virginia’s natural heritage within a global context in ways that are relevant to all the citizens of the Commonwealth. If you meet the qualifications for Earth Sciences Technician, we invite you to apply to join our team. This is an 18-month, grant funded, full-time position with benefits. The benefits package (including health insurance and retirement) is detailed at http://www.dhrm.virginia.gov/employeebenefits
- Photographing small fossil specimens preserved in shale
- Cataloging and/or referencing fossil and rock specimens
- Interfacing fossil images with iDigBio
- Coordination with other Fossil Insect Collaborative participating institutions, including attending annual workshops
- General database management for earth sciences
- Assistance with processing and preparing new earth science collections
- Assisting the curator in grant-related activities, including purchasing and report preparation
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in geological or biological science or related field
- Experience working in a paleontology or geology lab and/or collection
- Experience with museum collections databases
- Master’s degree in geological or biological science or related field
- Experience with iDigBio
- Experience with microscopy and digital microphotography
- Familiarity with fossil insects
- The Commonwealth of Virginia online employment application is available at: http://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com/postings/62818
- Only online applications are accepted. Applications must be submitted by December 21, 2016.
- If you have questions about the position or the application process, please contact the Human Resources Office at 276-634-4158.
The Virginia Museum of Natural History complies with E-Verify which is an internet based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security in partnership with the Social Security Administration that allows participating employers to electronically verify the employment eligibility of their newly hired employees.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are afforded equal opportunities without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability. The successful applicant must furnish proof of identity and employment eligibility and is subject to a background check.