- Curator of Mammalogy, Virginia Museum of Natural History
- Affiliate Faculty, Department of Biology, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Associated Researcher, University of Virginia, Department of Environmental Sciences, Virginia Coast Reserve Long-Term Ecological Research Program, co-sponsored by the National Science Foundation, the University of Virginia, and the Nature Conservancy.
- Ph.D. Zoology, Louisiana State University, 1987
- M.S. Biology, Fort Hays State University, 1981
- B.S. Biology, Memphis State University, 1978 (cum laude)
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Biology, University of Virginia
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Anatomy & Cell Biology, Wayne State University School of Medicine
- Biogeography and population genetics of mammals on the Virginia barrier islands
- Ecology and evolution of eastern fox squirrels and eastern gray squirrels
- Systematics of sciurids
Representative Professional Service
- Chair, Natural History and Biodiversity Section, Virginia Academy of Sciences
- Secretary, Natural History and Biodiversity Section, Virginia Academy of Sciences
- Committee of Visitors, Division of Environmental Biology (DEB), National Science Foundation
- American Society of Mammalogists: Grants-In-Aid Committee
- Scientific Council for Mammals, North Carolina Natural Heritage Program
- Mammal Advisory Committee, Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries
- American Society of Mammalogists: Systematic Collections Committee
- Dueser, R.D., N.D. Moncrief, O. Keišs, J.D. Martin, J.H. Porter, and B.R. Truitt. 2013. Overwater movement of raccoons (Procyon lotor) in a naturally fragmented coastal landscape. Northeastern Naturalist, 20:511-528.
- Moncrief, N.D. and A.C. Dooley, Jr.. 2013. Using fluorescence of bones and teeth to detect remains of the eastern fox squirrel (Sciurus niger) in archaeological deposits. Southeastern Archaeology, 32:46-53.
- Moncrief, N.D., J.B. Lack, J.E. Maldonado, K.L. Bryant, C.W. Edwards, and R.A. Van Den Bussche. 2012. General lack of phylogeographic structure in two sympatric, forest obligate squirrels (Sciurus niger and S. carolinensis). Journal of Mammalogy, 93:1247-1264.
- Dooley, A. C., Jr., and N.D. Moncrief. 2012. Fluorescence provides evidence of congenital erythropoietic porphyria in 7000-year-old specimens of the eastern fox squirrel (Sciurus niger) from the Devil’s Den. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, 32:495-497.
- Webster, Wm. D, N. D. Moncrief, J. R. Choate, and H. H. Genoways. 2011. Systematic revision of the northern short-tailed shrew, Blarina brevicauda (Say). Virginia Museum of Natural History Memoir 10: 1-77 + vi.
- Martin, J. D., R. D. Dueser, and N. D. Moncrief. 2010. Method for casting large numbers of clay eggs for use in studies of artificial nests. Southwestern Naturalist, 55:591-596.
- Moncrief, N. D., J. B. Lack, and R. A. Van Den Bussche. 2010. Eastern fox squirrel (Sciurus niger) lacks phylogeographic structure: recent range expansion and phenotypic differentiation. Journal of Mammalogy, 91:1112-1123.
- Webster, W. D., N. D. Moncrief, B. E. Gurshaw, J. L. Loxterman, R. K. Rose, J. F. Pagels, and S. Y. Erdle. 2009. Morphometric and allozymic variation in the southeastern shrew (Sorex longirostris). Jeffersoniana, 21:1-13.
- Moncrief, N. D., R. A. Van Den Bussche, R. D. Dueser, D. Loftis, N. E. Cockett, and M. Culver. 2008. Diagnostic genetic marker that differentiates eastern fox squirrels from eastern gray squirrels. The Journal of Wildlife Management, 72:320-323.
- Moncrief, N.D. and R. D. Dueser. 2001. Allozymic variation in the endangered Delmarva fox squirrel (Sciurus niger cinereus): Genetics of a translocated population. American Midland Naturalist, 146:37-42.
- Loxterman, J.L., N.D. Moncrief, R. D. Dueser, C.R. Carlson, and J.H. Pagels. 1998. Dispersal abilities and genetic population structure of insular and mainland Oryzomys palustris and Peromyscus leucopus. Journal of Mammalogy, 79:66-77.
- Moncrief, N.D., N.C. Cockett, A.D. Neff, W. Thomas, and R.D. Dueser. 1997. Polymorphic microsatellites in the meadow vole, Microtus pennsylvanicus: conservation of loci across species of rodents. Molecular Ecology, 6:299-301.
- Moncrief, N.D. 1993. Geographic variation in fox squirrels (Sciurus niger) and gray squirrels (S. carolinensis) of the lower Mississippi River valley. Journal of Mammalogy, 74:547-576.
- Loeb, S., and N. D. Moncrief. 1993. The biology of fox squirrels (Sciurus niger) in the southeast: A review. Pp. 1-19, in Proceedings of the second symposium on southeastern fox squirrels, Sciurus niger (N. D. Moncrief, J. W. Edwards, and P. A. Tappe, eds.). Virginia Museum of Natural History Special Publication Number 1, Martinsville. 84 pp.
- Moncrief, N. D., R. H. Kretsinger, and M. Goodman. 1990. Evolution of EF-hand calcium-modulated proteins. I. Relationships based on amino acid sequences. Journal of Molecular Evolution, 30:522-562.
- Persechini, A., N. D. Moncrief, and R. H. Kretsinger. 1989. The EF-hand family of calcium-modulated proteins. Trends in Neurosciences, 12:462-467.